Wednesday, July 25, 2012

City Creek afternoon

the view from the sky bridge looking North
When I first moved to Utah after my mission I worked in the trust & investment department of Zions Bank downtown Salt Lake City, right across the street from Temple Square.  I loved my job, and I loved being so close to all the shopping and fun places.  There were times I would walk around Temple Square on my lunch break, or go shopping at Nordstrom's across the street to the West at the Crossroads Mall. 
the cool water feature in the courtyard

Well, fast forward about 10 years and that mall isn't there anymore, or the mall that housed the bank tower where I worked in, it's gone too.  It's all been replaced by this really swanky, fabulous mall called City Creek Center.  It's pretty amazing with the creek flowing through the middle of the mall, and so much light coming in, it really is beautiful.  There's a huge outdoor area with water features, and a sitting area with a fire place, for those winter nights.  Anyway, so Dan and I went there one Saturday afternoon shortly after it opened.  We didn't really do any shopping, we just went to take it all in and of course use his gift card to the Cheesecake Factory.  Yummo!  One of the most amazing things about the construction of the mall, is that it has taken over the space of what used to be 2 malls, and there is a bridge built between them over the street, Dan's company built and installed the bridge.  Also, the roof of the mall is retractable, so in the summer you can have sun and clouds, and in the winter, you can keep out the snow and winds!

our shared piece of cheesecake