Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Garden Time!

Bro. Paige, Dan, Leanne and Karl figuring out what plant goes where



Our little friend Jason lending a gardenining hand;)
Dan making sure the watering lines are straight!

Garden Time!  Last summer Dan and I participated in a community garden.  We paid about $200 to work a couple of hours each week pulling weeds, watering and planting summer veggies.  Then every Saturday we would meet up with the other gardeners and get a sack full of veggies and produce that was grown and cared for by us=)  We also got local honey, beef and eggs--those were also raised by community farmers. 
This year Dan wanted to do our own community garden, however living in a condo is kind of tricky.  We do have yard space, and lots of it, but it is shared space.  So, we have this sweet lady in our ward that has a huge yard and she offered her back acre for us to garden this summer.  She lives right across the street from us, so very close=)  Dan got a bunch of our friends and neighbors to participate too, and we all share the work and the "blessings" ie-zucchini (yum, yum) when everything comes to fruition. 
We have had some issues with magpies, so we've had to be really creative in order to keep them from eating up the plants.  We had to replant and replace many of the tomatoes and melons, but now the garden has been growing steadily for a couple of weeks.  I don't even like tomatoes, but I must admit I am excited to eat one fresh from our garden this summer!  Dan is so patient and so organized.  He measured all the lines, and he and I laid the pipe so that the water could reach each plant with our drip system.  It's so funny the things our friends and neighbors say about the garden--things like, "It's perfect!" or, "The watering pipe is laid so straight!', it's all Dan--what a great man.  I sure love him=)