Sunday, November 3, 2013

November is Adoption Awareness Month!

"Adoption is just another part of my life. It doesn't make me any different. All of my friends think it's so cool that I'm adopted, and everyone's always asking me about it." - Michelle, age 15

"To me, adoption means life. I do think about my birthmother. Every year, I look up at the stars and hope -- I wish, that she is looking up at the same moment. If I could say anything to her, it would be 'thank you.'" - Bill, age 25

I found these 2 statements from "children" who were adopted on a really great adoption website.  I think they have such profound views on being adopted, and I love what they had to say.  If someone had told me 11 years ago when Dan and I were preparing to get married that we would not be able to have biological children, and that we would be looking forward to adopting a baby and having a family that way, I would have been surprised.  Not surprised in a bad way, mind you, just surprised.  As much as I loved the idea of adoption, it wasn't in our plans.  Apparently, the Lord had other ideas for us =)  Let me tell you a little bit about that...

The last 5 years have been tough, sweet, sad, maddening, blissful and all together emotional for us as we have tried to begin our family.  However, through the many doctors appointments, the 2 surgeries, the adoption paperwork and interviews, and home-studies we did (3 of them so far), and a few different adoption "possibilities" that didn't work out,  I really have felt at peace knowing this (adoption) was our path to being a family. 

In my mind I see only the advantages and all the positive aspects of adoption, and I have a hard time seeing why anyone would belittle an expectant girl/woman who made an adoption plan.  I think adoption is all about love, sacrifice, patience, faith and selflessness.  Dan and I have met so many wonderful people in the adoption community, people who most likely we never would have met any other way.  We have tried to grow our knowledge of adoption and we try to use the right vernacular in speaking to our friends and family about adoption.  We have passed out or passed on over 1000 adoption pass-along cards in hopes that someone we know would know someone who was making an adoption plan. 

There have been many times we have felt frustrated, or impatient with the waiting part (mostly me, not Dan, LOL).  But, also I feel like Dan and I have been able to appreciate fully our last 11 years together as a married couple without children at home.  I have been able to continue my education and Dan has spent a lot of time with church callings and being on our condo community board.  I truly feel like we have been blessed to have had so much time to spend together, just the 2 of us.  I also know that now is the time for us to be more than just the 2 of us.  I have faith that the Lord has us in mind, and that He has a plan for our family. 

Here's a video that really touched me.  It's a sweet tale of adoption for one family who also built their family through adoption.
http://www.faithit.com/this-couple-was-ruined-in-the-best-way-possible-watch-and-you-may-be-ruined-too-2/

(it wouldn't let me post the video, only the link--boo)
xoxo